Sunday, August 7, 2011

The Digital Reading Revoluton

There has been a large influx of commercials for the various electronic reading implements out there: Kindle, Nook, iPad2 (it counts), and various other tablets/phones with this capability. My phone even has a Kindle app in it. Two ladies I work with, C and S respectively, have Kindles that they keep on their desk.

Prior to my office relocating to a larger, more impersonal space, we had a small kitchen/break room. I use my breaks to read, and, back then, I would have to do so in this little kitchen. C walked in and told me that I should get a Kindle since I read so much. Her speech read just like the commercials between the competing devices.

I do admit that the concept is tempting. I could carry an entire library in my hand. But, I still find myself not really wanting to own one. I spend an entire work day staring at an electronic screen. I come home and spend even more time staring at an electronic screen. When I read, it's...nice to get away from that.

The feel and weight of a book in my hand in comforting. The smell is comforting (the scent of ink and paper in a brand new book is amongst my favorite in the world). It's a feast for all the senses by taste, really. I have piles of books in my living room and a few scattered around my bed room. I read 800 page books in about 1.5 weeks...and that's just by reading for an hour and a half at work each day. If I have time on the weekends, I read more.

So, it makes sense right? Rather than cart around my books or let them take up space, I should get a Kindle or any of it's variations. It saves space, you can take it anywhere, and you can purchase books instantly without ever leaving your house.

Well. You can do all of that except for the instant-gratification-without-travel with regular books. Well, maybe the spatial things might be a little off, but if you store them right, it's fine. If the power goes out, I don't have to worry about my battery dying and cutting me off from my content. If I'm out and about, same thing.

The saddest thing about this "revolution" is the death of a medium that has existed for so very long, and the death of the book stores. Borders is the first in a long line of bookstore deaths.

I guess I'm old fashioned, but I'll continue to buy physical books until they go the way of VHS tapes.

No comments:

Post a Comment